Healthcare is a big issue for senior citizens, as they are most likely to get sick because their immune system weakens over the years. Some of the health issues in the Philippines, as well as in other countries, that people between 50-80 years old should watch out for are pneumonia, cough, colds, influenza, cataract, kidney/bladder problems, and diabetes
The effects of aging
on the immune system manifest at multiple levels. These include reduced production of B and T cells in the bone marrow and thymus, and diminished function of mature lymphocytes in secondary lymphoid tissues. As a result, elderly individuals do not respond to challenges to their immune systems as robustly as younger ones do.
According to the World Health Organization, systems of long-term care
that are able to meet the needs of older people are essential in all countries. These systems require government support, infrastructure, and workforce capacity. WHO has worked on developing long-term care, including palliative care, programs that align with government and international efforts to enhance universal health coverage and develop holistic and people-centered healthcare services.
In the Philippines, the Department of Health (DOH)
has been working to put in place programs and strategies that aim to reduce illnesses and injuries among elderly Filipinos. Through the Universal Healthcare Agenda of the government, interventions to deepen, widen, and expand programs and action plans are also being considered.
For the first time in history, most people can now expect to live into their sixties and beyond
. From 900 million in 2015, the population of people in the world who are aged 60 years and above is expected to hit 2 billion by 2050. Over 125 million people today are aged 80 years or older, and by 2050 that number is expected to hit 434 million people worldwide. Data also predicts that 80% of all older people will be residing in middle to low-income countries.
Given all the information mentioned above, the more it is recommended to provide health insurance for senior citizens above 60 years old in the Philippines that are specifically tailored to their changing needs.
Here are some important points to consider in choosing the best health insurance in the Philippines:
- Hospitalization Benefits - Old age is a sensitive phase where elderly people need to have proper care, free from worries and anxiety, in order to give them a sustainable happy and healthy life.
A product that is able to provide lump sum cash benefits for regular, ICU or surgical confinements will be able to cushion financial burden for the elderly and their families. Providing lump sum cash benefits give them the freedom to choose the hospital where they want to be confined, as not all public hospitals in the Philippines have complete medical equipment. With this, patients will no longer have to worry about finding a hospital that carries their insurance provider. They can even choose among the best hospitals in the Philippines that provide advanced medical technology. Furthermore, with an available lumpsum they can also decide if they want to spend the money on buying medicines, paying hospital bills, or other expenses.
Affordability - People between the ages of 50 to 80 years old tend to have lesser income. Most of them only depend on their monthly pension from the government, which is around Php7,000 to Php8,000 or family. Not all health insurance companies in the Philippines are able to provide affordable health insurance for the elderly. Customers will have to choose the plan that fits their budget, preferably one with no increase in premium as they age, and at rates that can go as low as Php213 budget per month. A plan that is flexible and affordable could ease their worries in case of sickness and sudden hospitalization.
- Wide coverage - Understanding the scope of health care insurance before purchasing a plan is important. Customers should settle for the one that has no little to no limitations in terms of accredited hospitals and doctors. This especially gives the senior-aged peace of mind while travelling around the Philippines, or staying in another country for a short vacation because they know they are protected 24/7.
- Guaranteed acceptance - Given a list of health insurance in the Philippines, there's a high chance that not all programs are able to provide guaranteed acceptance. Many customers may be looking at getting a health card or HMO, but not all programs are fully inclusive. Customers may want to look for the best health insurance in the Philippines that does not require them to undergo medical examinations and answer a long list of medical questions, as this means they can still be covered despite preexisting health conditions.
- Accessibility of payment centers – Accessibility is especially important for senior citizens, as many of them may have limited mobility due to their age. Customers should look for an insurance plan that has payment centers in many accessible locations, as this will reduce the amount of stress and planning that they need to consider.
- 24/7 interactive voice response - A good health insurance company provides their clients with convenience and best experience. Customers should consider a company with IVR technology in place. IVR technology means there's no need to wait for the next business operating hours to address all policy-related questions, which is essential when you have an emergency or immediate concern. Just dial the hotline number, choose selections from the menu and wait for the interactive voice response to provide the information that you need. It’s time-efficient and hassle-free.
- Fast and easy application – Senior customers especially should choose a product that has simple yet easy application processes. Find a program with an online application that can be accessed through mobile and without need for an agent, and whose protection can be activated by just filling out the online application form and paying the initial premium.
A longer life
brings with it more opportunities, both for older people and their families and for society as a whole. Senior citizens have more time to pursue old passions or discover new hobbies, as well as contribute to their families and communities. However, the participation of older people in society is often contingent on one very important thing: health.
If people can experience these extra years of life in good health and in a supportive environment, they can be just as active and productive as a younger person. However, if their later years are burdened by a downturn in physical ability and medical capacity, it may be more difficult for them to participate in society. Appropriate and accessible healthcare coverage for seniors gives them the opportunity to enjoy life to the fullest, without having to worry about accidents or illnesses.
The PrimeCare Cash Plan
protects elderly people from exhausting their hard-earned savings. It allows them to enjoy their retirement years with their loved ones and be confident to know that they are financially independent. Learn more about PrimeCare Cash Plan and the options available.
Before reaching your senior years, start planning and building funds for your future while you are still young and ale. Don’t waste time.